Vietnam - Cafe May

During my visit to Ho Chi Minh City, a year ago, I had difficulties in finding a Muslim restaurant or at least a proper place to eat (pardon my Indonesian tongue hehe). I even forgot to ask my food bloggers friend what recommended restaurant nearby but well my friend said ‘traveling is about getting lost and finding something beyond your expectation’. Yeah, I decided to go the show and fortunately, if there’s a will, then there will be a way hahaha…

I discovered this café, named Café May, in Cong Xa Paris street, District 1, across Metropolitan Building and very near to Notre Dame Cathedral.  It looks a cool place with all the dining table placed in the patio which facilitates the visitors to enjoy their visit with a Chong Xa Paris street view in a cool windy weather. I feel lucky to eat here because it's shady and at least covered me from the 32° Celsius of HCMC that day . Phiuh !

The interior is simple with chair and dining table made ​​of rattan and chandeliers with a farmer hat-shaped lamp cover, a typical farmer hat of Vietnam. The menu is definitely confuse me hahaha ! All inscribed in Vietnamese. Fortunately, there was an English-speaking waiter who helped us and we chose a lunch package which incidentally cheap and halal (still only God knows whether it is a true halal or not).

Then, my husband and I chose Cam Canh Chua Ca Dieu Hong, a fish-based menu which was served in a fried fish or soup. We chose both of them. The fried one served with four pieces of small fish which I forgot to ask what kind of fish it is and a plate of rice. The fish was smeared with a sauce which taste spicy and a lil bit salty. It was not smelly but I didn’t like the sensation I got after chewing it. It was strange hahaha…


Meanwhile, the fish soup was far better than the fried one. The soup served in a bowl with a generous vegetables and a hidden boiled fish inside. The fish was so juicy and tender (I thought they use different fish since the texture and the size was different also) and the broth was also savoury.  I love this one better!


For the drink, we just spent two glasses of Iced Lemon Tea and refillable plain Iced Tea. It didn’t cost us so much, only IDR60,000 for two. Very great deal!


So, for you who will or have visit Ho Chi Minh City and look for an affordable and cozy restaurant with good food, this Café May might be a yes to you.


Café May
So 1 Cong Xa Paris
Puon Beng Nghe, Quan 1 (District 1)
(Across Metropolitan Building)
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
+84 122 997 1065

http://cafemay.blogspot.com

No comments