Sukhothai: Touch The Unlimited Royal Treat

Have you ever dream about being treated as a royal king? Hmmm...I never dream about such thing but surprisingly several weeks ago I was brought to feel the hilarious of being a royal king for a nite, especially in his way of enjoying royal dinner. It is Sukhothai Restaurant, an authentic Thailand restaurant located in The Media Hotel & Tower, brought me to feel Thailand atmosphere and to taste its cuisine while treating me as if I am a royal king...hmm princess sounds better I think haha...Well, as I stepped my feet onto the dining area, I was welcomed by a red, warm, and luxurious interior of Sukhothai equipped with some elephant and Thailand traditional dancer statues in gold and Thailand carving in several part of their wall. It really shows us how Sukhotai trying to impress their customer with a truly royal atmosphere. But wait, it's not finish yet, to make it more traditional, the customer won't be seated in a chair, Sukhotai ask them to sit on the floor a.k.a 'lesehan' in Bahasa. They provides a big square and low table with a space under the table that enable us to hide and put our feet comfortably. At least you won't crossed your leg during eating hehehe...

After the very good welcoming, Sukhothai treated me with a sumptuous promotion of UNLIMITED ROYAL TREAT where I can enjoy the unlimited authentic Thailand cuisine a.k.a an All You Can Eat menu yay! An it’s all for only IDR149,000 per pax. A very best offer I’ve ever experienced! There are more than 23 ala carte menu which can be ordered unlimitedly, over and over, as long as your belly has enough spaces hahaha! So, that’s the opening, now I will share you my experience in enjoying the royal treatment here.
Appetizer came first on my table. There are four menus to serve, consist   of:

Gai Har Baytoy, a fried marinated chicken in pandanus leaf. I love how they covered the marinated chicken with the pandanus leaves. It left super good aromas that raise my tastebud. The chicken was also well marinated, soft and tender.


Pia Takrai, a fried marinated fish with lemongrass and fresh herbs. This appetizer also went well on my tongue. I can feel a lil bit lemongrass and fresh herbs in every bite.


Tord Man Goong (Prawn Cake). This snack is similar with ‘otak-otak goreng’ my favourite snack and so does the taste. Simply love it.


For those snacks, we can enjoy it with three kind of sauces; mango sauce, a typical Bangkok sauce (sorry I forgot the name), and a spicy sauce (I also forgot the name haha), but this one is look like "sambal Matah Bali".


Yam Mamuang (Spicy Mango Salad). Wuah, finally I found the salad from Thailand which I though it’s similar with our ‘asinan mangga’ hahaha!  It’s quite spicy, salty and fresh as well.


Then, before come into the main course, I laid a space for Kwe Tiaw Phed Yang (flat rice noodle soup with duck). This is similar with the Chinese kwe tiaw or actually it is ahahaha, but it’s softer and served with a savoury soup which kinda too smooth for me. I thought this is the time I will put much pepper and chili powder on my meal haha!


Thanks God, I finally didn’t have to put much pepper in the next Tom Tum Thalay (sorry I didn't made the photo). Because it’s a tom yum, I knew it’s gonna be hot and spicy. Either the seafood or the soup was made fresh! Love the acidity level, it’s really went well on my belly.

Here we come the main course. Phad Poh Taek came first. It’s a sautéed crab, squid, fish and prawn in Thai herb. Perfect fusion with a sweet, sour, and spicy after taste on my mouth.


Phad Kapraw Nuea. This is fried minced beef with chili and sweet basil. It’s spicy and too oily I thought. I thought I’m munching a corned beef with too much oil hehehe…


Finally, I found the main course awarded as the best, Pla Sam Rod and Kaeng Kiew Wan Gai. The first is fried Dory fish with three flavour sauce.  This is the best coz not only the crunchy outside and tender inside; the sauce also offered me supper after taste, sweet, salty, and savoury. Scrumptious!


Then, the latter Kaeng Kiew Wan Gai made me drool with its green curry. I feel like home when sipping it’s green curry soup, it’s fusion of coconut milk remind me of My Mom’s ‘sayur lodeh’. Sweet, sour, and aaaahh I better talk less, and let you decide by your own.  


There are also many side dishes I tried such as Khao Pad Sapparot. I imagined I will get fried rice served in a pineapple but unfortunately, this is only fried rice with minced pineapple. The rice is just okay for me, not too oily and the best part is I found cashew nuts inside!


Pad Broccoli, a stir fried broccoli and garlic, and Pad Bong Pad Namanhoy, a stir fried water spinach with oyster sc, were also good side dishes to complete my dinner.


Huah, I feel so glad that tonight I was treating like a royal Thai king, but it’s not finished yet. Sukhothai spoiled me to make more spaces on my belly for the desserts. And I challenged myself to try it all hahaha….

Man Suam, a simmered cassava in syrup with coconut milk remind me of Indonesian traditional snacks 'singkong siram santan'. The cassava was boiled well resulted on a soft texture of its. The coconut milk and vanilla syrup on the top was also a great fusion, gives a strong vanilla scent and fortunately it has mild sweet. I simply love this snacks. 


Tam Tim Krob, this also remind me of "es mutiara", but I was wrong, this is not "mutiara"as we can find in Indonesian "es podeng or "es campur", this is actually a yam (bengkuang) covered with colored cornflour that made this seems like "mutiara". This is fun, because when I munching it, I tasted the crunchy part of the yam hihi...The soup comes from a milk, ice and coconut milk. and thanks God, it sweet enough for me. Love it!  


Aisa Krim Kati Ruamiter, it might has a long name, but I didn't put too much effort to enjoy this one haha, because this is only a coconut ice cream, with super mild and sweet taste added with watermelon pieces. Yay! I feel like a kid who craving this over and over!


Kanom Ruamiter, this assorted mini Thai sweets again similar with Indonesian sweets, there are two kinds of sweet pudding alike, both made from brown sugar. There is also "kue ku" alike and "kue jojorong", a solid coconut milk fused with melted brown sugar inside. All those sweets are simply perfect for closing my dinner.


Overall, I found my belly was so full and happy. It was really nice to be treated like a king! Anyway, please remember you have to prepare your belly or you are subject to be charged IDR30,000 per portion if you couldn't finish the food. Anyway, thanks Openrice and Sukhothai for inviting me to this royal event. 



Sukhothai Restaurant
The Media Hotel & Towers, 6th Floor
Jl. Gunung Sahari Raya No. 3
Jakarta 10720
Telp. 021 - 626 3001
@sukhothairesto
Operation hour for dinner: Monday to Sunday 18:00 - 22.30 WIB
Operation hour for lunch: Monday to Friday 11.30 - 14.30 WIB

No comments