IHOP, Mall of The Emirates, Dubai


My favorite novelists, Ika Natassa, in her newest novel Critical Eleven once said "Travel is not wanting to sleep because for once reality more interesting than your dream". Indeed, for the very first time, I feel that my reality right now is even beyond my beautiful dream. I just still can't believe that living in my dream is interesting but enjoying my reality right now is beyond amazing. Never thought before that I was flown by Emirates to this city with several food bloggers and foodies which sharing the same dream and passion in food with me. It is OH GOD like a dream but hey THIS IS REALITY. 

I am in Dubai right now and this post is really written in Dubai tonight hahaha. I am here staying in the most comfortable bed ever at Sheraton Dubai Mall of the Emirates Hotel, with joyful smile and laptop which accompany me reviewing all restaurants to go in the Alshaya Food Tour I joined. This tour is organized by Acorn Marketing Research & Consultant and M.H Alshaya Company, the leading retail franchise business who brought  Starbucks, H&M, Debenhams, Victoria’s Secret, etc., to the market of Middle East and North Africa, Russia, Turkey and Europe. This tour is simply held to introduce Alshaya’s best restaurant and hope they will bring it to Indonesia. Yay! Can’t wait to see that US-chain-famous- burger outlet, Shake Shack, is settled in Jakarta.

 gorgeous view from my hotel

Okay okay enough for the opening. Promise that I’ll tell you more about the hotel and another exciting trips beside the food tour on other blogpost special with tons of pictures that will make you envy hahaha kidding! Now, in the first day of the tour, the food bloggers and foodies was brought to know closer the hippest breakfast restaurant in town, IHOP. In U.S, the IHOP family restaurant chain has served its world famous pancakes and a wide variety of breakfast, lunch and dinner items which the tradition is now become popular and growing in Dubai. IHOP is located in Al Barsha District of Dubai in one of the largest shopping mall in Middle East, Mall of the Emirates. The mall was even bigger than Grand Indonesia. Gees, it even took us about 30 minutes walking from hotel exit to the restaurant and I got lost several times hahaha. In this mall, there are the biggest Indoor Ski ever where you could easily do the snowboarding, ice body sliding or feeding the real penguins! They also have a beautiful indoor water fountain with stunning ceiling view. 



IHOP here was located on the first floor next to Shake Shack. The interior itself for me like a U.S classic family restaurant. Covered every table setting with cream and red which for me is a way too boring. There no such a pictures in the wall which I thought they should have more interesting pictures to show. The ambiance is quite relaxing but I didn't hear any back sound or music. But never mind, I was greeted by very humble waitress which explains me any single details of my questions. In IHOP, one waiter is serving only one table which is a very great news for me as in Indonesia some restaurants have the waiter serving most of the tables.


After being seated, we ordered several dish to try which is start from breakfast, lunch and dinner. Don't wonder if IHOP covered them all. They're not only selling pancakes. They sell like everything you want to eat! This one also good news since back to Jakarta, I there are no pancakes house selling so many choices of pancake. So, ready to say YES or NO for IHOP coming to Jakarta? Here's what I got from today's breakfast. Check it out!

New York Cheese Cake Pancake - AED42

Cheese cake is my favorite thing! And I will say YES for this pancake which has a REAL cheese cake flavor. The texture was sooo fluffy, moist and tasty. I can even feel the rich of cheese inside. Btw, you can choose 4 choices of the syrups. They have Original (the old-fashioned maple syrup), Blueberrry, Strawberry Banana and Cinnamon Apple. I always love the old-fashioned one. It just perfect combination for the pancakes. Really great breakfast!


Original Pancake with Old-Fashioned Syrup - AED41

This one was also customer's favorite. The texture was simple dense but fluffy inside. Simple put your favorites syrup and they're gonna melted your day!


Belgian Waffle with Vanilla Ice Cream - AED45

For the very first time, I could look that this waffle should be crunchy outside and fluffy inside and I was right! It just way tooo perfect for the waffle to be so crunchy but yes it is right and the texture inside was also fluffy and have a rich vanilla flavor. And oh, the vanilla ice cream was also not getting melted easily. Loove it so much!


Big Steak Omelette - AED57

I'm the one who always made my own omelette in my house and I expected will get a better quality one since I'm eating in one of best breakfast resto in the world. But sorry to say that, IHOP omelette's was too dry. Maybe they need to put some milk to make it softer and decrease the thickness of the egg and the filing. I'm feeling too full in the opening for an omelette with much beef and mushrooms inside.


Spinach and Mushroom Hashbrown - AED36

Never had such a very very crunchy yet so moist hash brown before. I was even take it more  than one bites of it hahaha! I love also they not overcooked the spinach and well-seasoned it with Provolone cheese and rich hollandaise sauce and green onions. Anyway you can choose egg style of your choice. Simply DA BOMB!


Egg Benedict - AED49

Turkey ham on an English muffin topped with two poached eggs, hollandaise sauce and served with hash brown. Frankly speaking, this egg benedict was a MEH! The presentation was terrible. They should not made too big egg benedict and it's tasteless. I don't know it just not into my palate.


After some breakfast, I ordered some food for brunch. Anyway, all the food here have a big portion, even the pancakes have four stacks! So never mind if you want to share your food with friends.

Surf & Turf - AED99

This grilled rib eye steak was also OMG NAY! The beef wasn't juicy at all, so chewy. I even find it hard to cut. This dish was completed with seasoned shrimps, sauteed spinach and mushroom in a creamy saauce. Gosh, the sauce was too acid and salty so did the shrimps. I thought it's too much to put steak and seafood in one plate.


Creamy Mushroom Pasta - AED45

Frsh tagliatelle pasta with creamy mushroom sauce. One of the best creamy mushroom pasta I've ever tried. The pasta cooked al dente and the sauce was simply rich in cream. Maybe they could added more cheese to make it more creamy and cheesy.


Fiesta Chicken Wrap with Onion Rings - AED38

The Onion Rings was DA BOMB! It's beyond crunchy for me, while the chicken wrap was also quite good with soft and warm flour tortilla filled with generous chicken breast, sauteed corn, lettuce with rich melted cheddar and Jack cheese.


Volcano Shrimp - AED42

Only this dish I found it in small portion. The shrimp was so big and fresh. The sauce did a good job too, they're simply sweet and spicy in time. Best for snacking!


Philly Cheese Steak Stacker - AED44

A kind of great portion of sub. The fries was simply great. Crunchy and very well-seasoned. The beef was also cooked perfectly with delectably melted American cheese. I'm in love with this!


Carrot Cake

So, I got this very best closing dish. This cake a way beyond expectation. Way tooo unique to came true. I rarely find the carrot cake infused with cinnamon powder, but this one turned so sooo good. The cinnamon was escalating the taste to another level. I simply love also the moist texture of the cake and the fruit and nuts inside.


Phiuh, whatta breakfast! Overall, I'm quite impressed with IHOP. Most of the food was good and came in a big portion. What I didn't recommend, and don't know which resto in Jakarta I should compared to, is just their price. The price was too expensive for Indonesian's market. They might be can choose whether to adjust the price or the food. But I suggest to lower the price and the portion but not the quality of the food. Since in Indonesia, especially Jakarta, breakfast with American breakfast is still uncommon. Maybe just several coffee shops have their breakfast but very limited to restaurant in Jakarta to have breakfast selections. People usually take breakfast by buying it at the street food area like nasi kuning, nasi goreng, lontong sayur, etc. If HOP want to works in Indonesia, maybe they could add some local menus like fried rice for breakfast in the menu. Hmmm...they might also can consider to change their eating utensils like the plate. I don't now why, but it looks so old-fashioned. Way too boring. Clean and brighter white plate or colorful plate will be more interesting I think.

As soon as they're consider some changes for their market, I thought they're ready to fly to Indonesia. Success for you IHOP. Waiting for your breakthrough in Indonesia. 


IHOP, Mall of the Emirates, Level 1
Syeikh Zayed Road, Al Barsha 1, Dubai
United Emirates Arab
Ph. +971 4 385 0891
www.ihop.com
Price Range : AED19 - AED49 (Average spending around AED150 for two)
Operation hours : 8AM -12PM
**1 AED = IDR3.950

No comments