P.F. Chang's, JBR, Dubai


On this chance, I wasn't going to the mall to try the restaurant on my food tour list. We're going to another side of the city, beach yay! There a residence near the famous Jumeirah beach named Jumeirah Beach Residence where mall, residences, restaurants are placed in one complex. The beach view here was stunning, especially the restaurant I visited that day, P.F. Chang's. Never heard the name before but,  for your info, this restaurant was established about 20 years ago in 1993 in Arizona by Paul Fleming and Phillip Chiang which you now know what’s the P.F. stands for hehehe. This Asian theme U.S. casual dining restaurant has their around 204 branches in the U.S., Puerto Rico, Chile and Middle East. Lucky me, I had this great chance to try their food including the famous dynamite shrimps.

Jumeirah Beach Residences

When I stepped into P.F. Chang’s  I didn’t know that this restaurant actually is a Chinese restaurant.  I was welcomed by two giant horses statues which in a glance made me think ‘for what they put those terrifying horses?’ and some Terra Cotta warrior statues?  Well, when I met their Brand Manager, he said that it just their way to honor the history of Xing Dynasty dating back to the 3rd century B.C., which for them brought a uniqueness to the restaurant. Meanwhile, special for this JBR location, I didn’t see a typical oriental look but I see more like a classy but casual bistro which fits either for family or couple. I impressed with the high ceiling and the dim light. The view of the outdoor area was also stunning. The table setting was quite simple. Way too simple then Chinese restaurants in Indonesia which every table will be filled with fancy eating utensils. I love the music also. It’s soothing and relaxing. I didn’t know why, but I feel like I had a perfect timing to have an early dinner, seating beside the window and viewing the gorgeous sunset with slow music. Gosh, I missed my husband hahaha.


For me, it’s might be not a Chinese restaurant, when I looked into the menu, the selections was mostly a fusion of Asian, Chinese and Western. I saw lots of selections from appetizer, to entree to desserts. I might be sceptical about Chinese food since I'm rarely visiting an authentic Chinese restaurant in Indonesia but sitting with P.F. Chang's Brand Manager that day, here's some of my best pick which maybe can be your consideration in visiting PF Chang's someday in Indonesia. 

Strawberry Cucumber Limeade - AED14


I started my afternoon with this refreshing fusion drinks. Mixed of strawberry, cucumber, with a hint of sweet strawberry and a splash of acid lime and lomenade. A simple refreshing drinks or the humid and sunny Dubai!

Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wrap - AED44

I started with appetizer. I tried their signature Chang’s Chicken Lettuce Wrap. It’s unique since we have to eat like eating tacos. Filled in the lettuce with minced chicken and special sweet and spicy sauce. Simply great opening appetizer.


Dynamite Shrimp - AED47

Dynamite Shrimp was the BOMB tonight. This appetizer served in a sexy cocktails glass. The skin might be too thick but I could still taste the crunchiness of the skin and the shrimp was very fresh and juicy. The sauce was also good, sweet with a shot of spicy after going to my mouth. 


Chang’s Chicken Noodle Soup - AED39

Chang’s Chicken Noodle Soup was also the best I’ve ever had. Filled with shitake mushrooms, tomato, and cilantro with refreshing and tangy soup. Served for 4 persons. Looove this one.


Asian Chopped Salad - AED42

A big bowl of refreshing salad contains cucumber, carrot, ginger, and cabbage coleslaw with crunchy fried egg noodles. This Asian Chopped Salad reminds me of Gado-gado in Jakarta. The peanut sauce was so thick and tasty. The portion for me was too big for appetizer, even if it’s for sharing hahaha


Dumplings - AED32

Who doesn't know dumplings in Chinese cuisine? Lemme named one restaurant with the most attractive dumplings in Indonesia, Din Tai Fung. When I saw P.F. Chang's dumpling, I expected something succulent like I had in Din Tai Fung, but frankly speaking, their skin wasn't as moist as it looks like. A tad dry, thick and not tasty enough, the helps only came from the filing. I love the diced chicken inside and the signature mix sauce. 



Ahi Crisp - AED45

A simple refreshing appetizer of diced ahi tuna tossed in sriracha sauce, served over the fresh avocado on a crisp wonton wafer. I must say their wafer was so unique! Balance with the used of fresh avocado and refreshing ahi tuna. Great for starting meal!



Going to main course, I got a super duper heaven of food tonight. P.F. Chang’s not only impressed me with the food but also the service. Before starting to review the main course. I’m gonna tell you that the service was excellent. The food came in our table in less than 10 minutes. I heard that their standard is 8 minutes to serve the food on table. Holy Mother! Super excellent way of service ever!

Chang's Asian Short Ribs - AED125

This two giant beef was absolutely delectably delicious! Covered with sweet and savory BBQ sauce, I found them attracted my palate so much. The sweet savory sauce wasn't overpowering each other, even I could taste it soaked into the beef. The beef  was also so juicy and tender which I had more than one bites for this hahaha! Superb!


VIP Duck - AED85

Over the Chang's Asian Short Ribs, I could frankly speaking that this succulent grilled duck was beyond AMAZING!  The breast and leg part sometimes dry, but this one was sooo tender, moist and juicy. Completed with cucumber drizzled with sesame vinaigrette and julienned scallions, everything was like heaven in a plate. OMG! Delectably delicious. PERIOD!



Oolong Marinated Sea Bass - AED134

Unfortunately, I didn’t enjoy their Oolong Marinated Sea Bass. It looks tempting and moist outside, but when it comes to my mouth, I didn’t know what happened it just going to really dry on my throat. 


Seared Ahi With Chili Lime - AED81

Been dissaponted by the previous sea bass, I impressed with this ahi marinated with soy and seared to medium rare which resulting a tender fish with well-seasoned taste. Served with fresh green beans and baby arugula and fresh guacamole, this dish give me a wonderful seafood experience.



Orange Peel Beef - AED69

I was curious once I read the name of this dish and expected something unique, something rich in orange which I never tried before, but unfortunately it's still lower than my expectation. Frankly, the presentation was 'too much'. The sauce just looks overpowering the beef and made the supposed-to-be-crunchy beef became 'somehow mushy'. I even could't taste any shots of orange peel here.


Mongolian Beef - AED71

They claimed it as perennial guest favorite, wel it's indeed! I'm simply in love with the thin slice of caramelized beef with not overpowering sauce. Well, Mongolian recipe is now really works! 



Beef with Broccoli - AED69

This Cantonese typical dish was so familiar in my palate. I had this one in some Asian fusion restaurant in Jakarta. A simple beef slices with caramelized sauce of garlic and ginger and well-cooked broccoli. I believe this dish will gonna works in Indonesia's market. 



P.F. Chang's Fried Rice - AED44

Well, the best thing of P.F. Chang's is most of their food was cooked with wok-style, including this wok-fried rice. The taste was similiar with wok-fried rice in Jakarta, but since they used basmati rice so the texture for me personally was a tad dry. But overall, I believe when they changes with Indonesia's rice, the taste will be more delicious. 



Banana Spring Rolls - AED39

I ended up the night with a plate of Banana Spring Roll. I love they served it with like Haagen Dasz Vanilla Ice cream (if I’m not wrong, since the taste is similar) and the banana still quite dense inside the outside crunchy skin. Perfect for closing the dinner.
  

Will I say YES for P.F. Chang’s coming to Indonesia. Hmmmm I might say YES but with some considerations. Maybe they should adjust the price, people in Jakarta love Chinese resto but they just can't afford just to eat some starters start with AED44 or around IDR170K. In Indonesia, especially Jakarta, most of starters is starting from about USD4 to USD7. Some of their menu might be balance in price and portion like the VIP Duck or Chang's Asian Short Ribs. Oh and a lil bit comment about their waiter. Somehow they sounds very friendly to the customers, but in many ways they're too talkative since they're keep coming to my table whether my food are delicious or just asking some drinks or food to add. I'm a lil bit annoyed with that, but yeah overall I'm just okay with their excellent service.

I’m not giving too many suggestions to P.F. Chang’s since for me this restaurant is beyond excellent, the service, the food, the ambiance all perfect. My wish only, over their 216 branches in the world, they have consistency in their taste of food. So when I eat someday the VIP Duck back in Jakarta, I will said “Oh God, this is the same I had in Dubai!” Well, a very good night. Thanks P.F. Chang’s for the opportunity. Success and waiting for you in Jakarta.

P.F. Chang's
The Beach, Jumeirah Beach Residence
Dubai, UAE
+971 4 419 0671
www.pfchangs.com

Price Range:
Food AED34 - AED134 ; Drinks AED12 - AED22

Operational Hours:
11 AM to 1 AM

No Alcohol
Dress : Casual 
Cash & Credit Accepted

No comments